Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning
EU Network of Excellence
MarBEF Open Archive
Register of Resources
Rules and Guidelines
Weekly News Bulletin
Last 3 Job opportunities
>> Go to Job M@RKET
Last 2 forum posts
Field course on sharks in South Africa (June 2011)
training opportunity in basic taxonomy
>> Go to forums
Currently 36 guest(s) online
Currently 0 member(s) online
The Marine Science Job & Candidate Finder
Submit your CV
Find Job or Training
Marine Ecologists (x2)
Country of employment
PURPOSE OF JOB
Two enthusiastic and adaptable individuals are required to join a group of scientists engaged in fundamental research on the structure and functioning of coastal ecosystems. For this post, you will possess a solid understanding of ecological theory, preferably with prior experience in the field of ecosystem function. You will be able to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team of ecologists and modellers. Practical experience in the analysis and communication of intertidal and/or subtidal ecological research is required. You will also possess a sound understanding of the wider role of the benthos in the coastal ecosystem, including links to higher trophic levels such as birds and fish. You will be willing to develop working links with other relevant disciplines to assist the development of ecological models. An important element of the post is the capacity to convert your scientific findings into practical advice for the better protection and management of the marine environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plan and conduct coastal and marine studies, especially in relation to assessing the potential thermal effects of new industrial developments on estuarine ecology within the wider context of environmental change. A large part of this work will be to assess the impacts of these developments on intertidal macrobenthic communities and the effects on over-wintering bird populations.
2. Commission, manage and quality-assure work from sub-contractors.
3. Develop good working relationships with other relevant disciplines.
4. Undertake responsibilities for specific projects, from conception to publication, in relation to the derivation of indicators of environmental change and links between biological communities and ecosystem processes and function.
5. Contribute as necessary to other ongoing scientific studies at CEFAS.
6. Provision of scientific advice.
Academic qualifications required for direct entry to Cefas Pay Band 5 is a masters degree, PhD or graduate with relevant experience in a related subject. Certain requirements can be waived for candidates who are able to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge and experience.
This post is in Cefas Pay Band 5. The salary range is from £24,036 to £29,300 pa. In addition there is the opportunity for all staff to earn a performance related bonus. The salary is paid monthly by credit transfer. If you are already an established civil servant you can obtain further information from your Personnel Division about rules which may provide a more favourable starting salary than is allowed for under the previous paragraph. Other rules will apply if you are serving a fixed term appointment. Part-time working and job share applicants are also welcome.Should you be appointed Cefas will carry out pre-employment enquiries that may include a Criminal Disclosure check.The Agency’s recruitment processes are underpinned by the principle of selection for appointment on merit on the basis of fair and open competition as outlined in the Civil Service Commissioners' Principles which can be found at www.civilservicecommissioners.org. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Code and you wish to make a complaint, you should contact HR Services, Cefas, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 OHT in the first instance. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Agency, you can contact the Office of the Civil Service Principles.
Closing date for applications is 18/04/2010
Interview date for applications is 7/05/2010
Duration of contract
CV submission deadline
Last updated on
Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT
+44 (0) 1502 524546
New vacancy search