Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning
EU Network of Excellence
MarBEF Open Archive
Register of Resources
Rules and Guidelines
Weekly News Bulletin
Last 3 Job opportunities
>> Go to Job M@RKET
Last 2 forum posts
Field course on sharks in South Africa (June 2011)
training opportunity in basic taxonomy
>> Go to forums
Currently 36 guest(s) online
Currently 0 member(s) online
The Marine Science Job & Candidate Finder
Submit your CV
Find Job or Training
Marine Expert: Marine Ecosystem Management, GRID-Arendal
Country of employment
GRID-Arendal is seeking a Marine Expert to participate in the planning, developing and implementing of various Marine Ecosystem Management activities of its Marine Programme.
The ideal candidate is a proficient networker with [top] quality interpersonal, organizational and team-oriented skills, who can apply innovative and forward thinking approaches to the development of GAís marine strategy focusing on developing states and small island developing states.
Activity areas for this position are primarily (but not exclusively) focused on the following thematic areas: deep ocean benthic environment and resource management, spatial planning within national maritime zones and the use, application and management of data necessary for sound decision making. An overall aim involves promoting to the general [public] and decision makers the value of the oceans and their ecosystems.
Competencies are sought according to specific fields of expertise and reflect the various needs of the Marine Programme. They do not necessarily represent the requirements for an individual applicant.
Competencies to be considered are linked to:
- Marine ecosystem management and spatial planning (including seabed and deep ocean settings)
- Marine biology/ecology with experience of deep sea benthic ecosystems
- Marine environmental economics (ecosystem valuation, bio-economics)
GRID-Arendal is an environmental outreach organization that seeks to bridge the gap between science and society. Our activities are a part of UNEPís Programme of Work with the Marine Programme cooperating closely with the Marine and Coastal Ecosystem Branch and other parts of UNEP dealing with marine issues. We are a team-based organization operating in a dynamic and evolving structure. Teams provide core groups of expertise dedicated to meeting the goals of each programmatic area.
The position will be based in Arendal, Norway. The candidate will report directly to the Marine
Responsibilities and tasks:
Initial tasks and responsibilities will be based on relevant activities of the Marine Programme that are currently in progress and/or under development. The candidate will be expected to support and/or lead the following projects:
- Blue Carbon: Ocean ecosystems and carbon uptake
- Marine environment related Rapid Response Assessments
- Global Atlas of the Marine Benthic Environment
- State of the marine environment reporting in developing countries
- Global Assessments like the UN Regular Process and the Transboundary Waters Assessment Programme
- Sustainable development of marine management
- Support to the Global Ocean Biodiversity Initiative
- Support to projects and activities related to the High Seas
The candidate will in time be expected to develop, plan, lead and implement new activities in line with GRID-Arendalís marine strategy and support other project leads when relevant. The candidate will also be encouraged to pursue fundraising activities when deemed relevant to core goals.
Preferred professional qualifications:
- Master degree or equivalent/higher in Marine ecosystem management, Marine biology/ecology
and/or Marine environmental economics or related fields;
- Minimum of 5 years international experience in at least one of the following: UN system,
corporate organization or NGO;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, with editing experience. Additional language skills would be an advantage;
- Established network of contacts in support of the aforementioned goals would be a great asset;
- Good organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills;
- Knowledge about the UN system/international organizations;
- Experience with media outreach in the NGO sector and development fields is an advantage;
- Intra and and inter-institute network management (required experience in the global marine
research or administration community).
Preferred personal qualifications:
- Excellent team player and ability to work independently;
- High motivation and energy;
- Ability to pursue multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet deadlines;
- Excellent networking capabilities and diplomatic skills;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international and culturally diverse environment.
GRID-Arendalís salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system. It is based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary. International staff receives additional benefits.
Deadline for applications: October 08, 2010
Application should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Please send your application by email to:
Luana Karvel, Personnel Manager, Luana.Karvel@grida.no
(no specific application form to be filled in.)
For further information about the position, please contact Morten SÝrensen, Head of Marine Programme, Morten.Sorensen@grida.no.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), as the worldís leading intergovernmental environmental organization, is the authoritative source of knowledge on the current state of, and trends shaping the global environment. http://www.unep.org
GRID-Arendal is an international Centre of Excellence located in southern Norway whose activities specifically support UNEPís Programme of Work. Established in 1989 as a Norwegian foundation, GRID-Arendalís mission is to provide environmental information, communications and capacity building services for information management and assessment. Together with its partners, GRID-Arendalís core focus is to support decision-making processes aimed at
securing a sustainable future. GRID-Arendal is a project based organisation.
Prospective candidates should note that this is not a UN post.
GRID-Arendal has a diverse team of more than 32 international professionals working in Arendal, Norway and offices in Ottawa, Canada and Stockholm, Sweden.
Duration of contract
CV submission deadline
Last updated on
2010-09-27 by WouterRommens
Luana Karvel, Luana
Teaterplassen 3, N-4836 Arendal, Norway
New vacancy search